May 12, 2010

At it again.

Well.

I have now started implementing the most basic functionality, the interface between the agent and the broker.

Some stuff, not anything fancy but hopefully someone gets a bit helped:
  1. I use Eclipse and the following builder script to update the development server:
    Location:
    /usr/bin/rsync
    Parameters:
    -vtr -e "ssh -i /path/to/client/certificate/id_rsa" /source/code/dir/ user@server.domain.se:/destinationdir
  2. Found out how to import relatively within a package. This is from the server unit test importing the other modules.
    from .server import *
    from .session import *
  3. I use the PyDev Eclipse plugin when doing Python.
  4. I use mod_wsgi for the web server scripting. Very versatile indeed.Example here.
  5. The broker server itself is only a class declaration. The access code for SOAP, JSON or whatever is in a separate layer, allowing for unit testing of high-level functionality without involving serialization. Many forget this separation even though I feel it is an important one. I believe that soaplib, for example, should be unit tested by it's developers and not by me. I will have integration tests but unit testing stubs rarely gives anything in return.
I am considering buying the Clean Code-book, which some really geeky friends of mine recommend, nay urge me, to buy but I am a bit scared of it.

I am also thinking of deployment, the distutils stuff will possibly do the trick, but I have to learn how.

No comments:

Post a Comment