Sep 14, 2010

Connection(s) established. Initiating execution.

Hi y'all.

So now the next phase is finished.
I now implemented and tested connections to all supported database platforms.
I only used multi-platform python-components.
These are:
  • PostgreSQL(psycopg2, native)
  • MySQL(MySQLdb, native)
  • SQL Server(pyodbc using FreeTDS)
  • DB2(pyodbc, needs libdb2.so)
  • Oracle(cx_Oracle, native, needs oracle instant client)
Getting all the databases running on my network was a real chore, to be honest.
Especially DB2 and Oracle were quite cumbersome to connect to, and needed lots of proprietary stuff installed on the client. Also, they don't really support debian/ubuntu.
However, now that I know how everything works I will try to automate client installations, or at least document them well, so Unified BPM users won't have to go through all the hassle I had to.

Anyway, next now is to define a small XML schema for generalizing of database upgrade management.
My thought is that the same XML should be able to manage database upgrades for multiple platforms, through the functionality of the database abstraction layer.
I don't want some Unified BPM components to end up having half-a$$ed support for specific databases, like it is for the Drupal project, for example.
Also, this makes it possible to make really kewl database tests.

No comments:

Post a Comment